Chief Executive Officer for the CFA Society Switzerland
The mission of CFA Society Switzerland is to lead the investment profession in Switzerland by fostering the higher standards of integrity, knowledge and professionalism in the investment industry, for the ultimate benefit of society. CFA Society Switzerland has over 3,100 members and is the largest CFA Institute member society in continental Europe.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will be primarily responsible for leading the development and execution of the society’s long-term strategic objectives and managing the society’s internal and external activities. He/She plays an integral role in advancing the professional recognition of CFA charterholders, raising brand awareness, strengthening relationships with key stakeholders, establishing an advocacy strategy and enhancing member value.
The CEO is supported by a team of four staff as well as specialized volunteer groups and committees. He/She is responsible for managing and overseeing the relationships with CFA Institute, other CFA Societies, members, candidates and external stakeholders (employers, sponsors, universities, regulators, etc.).
The CEO reports directly to the CFA Society Switzerland Board. There is regular interaction with the Board of Directors including timely and well-structured reporting. The Board and CEO work together in pursuit of the strategy and the execution of key initiatives.
CEO’s key responsibilities are:
• Thought Leadership and Spokesperson: Become the primary spokesperson for CFA Society Switzerland and represent the Society externally at events, conferences, on panel discussions and in the media.
• Advocacy: Advocate for professional excellence to build market integrity and improve investor protection and investor outcomes. With committee involvement plan and execute a structured approach and oversee consultations to gain more visibility among employers, regulators, politicians, and the general public
• Sponsorship: Secure sponsorship by proactively engaging both new and existing organizations. Acquire new sponsors and expand existing sponsoring relationships.
• Brand Recognition: Strengthen and expand long-term relationships with employers, universities, and other professional associations to enhance the CFA brand and advance professional recognition of CFA charter holders
• Leadership and teamwork: Lead, motivate and develop the society’s staff by providing direction and support. Foster teamwork and cultivate an environment of high morale. Support ongoing staff development. Open communication and reporting with the Board of Directors. Liaise and provide input on key decisions with the board.
• Volunteer Engagement: Work collaboratively with society volunteers and committees to support a sound structure for volunteer recruitment, participation and recognition. Provide volunteer experiences that enhance a member’s professional life.
• Member Value: Develop and oversee programs alongside the committees that provide value to society members, such as continuing education events, career development programs and networking opportunities.
• CFA Institute Engagement and Innovation: Acquire and apply in-depth knowledge of the CFA Institute portfolio of products and services. Closely collaborate with CFA Institute, other societies and the Board of Directors to leverage their offering and initiatives for CFA Society Switzerland. Adapt to local needs and customs. • Fiscal Oversight: Ensure that the resources of CFA Switzerland are properly managed in an economical and financially prudent manner.
Additional Role Information
• Location: The position will be based in the Zürich/Zug area. Geneva is an important center too.
• Travel: Travel will be around 40 – 60% of the time, including travel within Switzerland and abroad.
• Time commitment: This role can be executed on a part-time or full-time basis. Workload to range from 80-100%.
• Work permit: Authorization to work in Switzerland required.
• CFA designation strongly preferred
• Languages: Excellent English and German required, French and/or Italian a strong plus
• Financial industry expertise: extensive knowledge and experience of the financial industry, including understanding of current trends. Familiarity with the Swiss financial industry and financial regulatory environment.
• Strong communicator: Excellent communication skills including written, verbal, listening, and presentation skills, as well as an aptitude for collaboration and persuasion. Capable of being a CFA spokesperson/thought-leader and to distill complex information and translate into clear external messages
• Strong networker:
o Established network in the Swiss financial industry preferred
o Able to leverage CFA and personal network to establish and deepen corporate / institutional contacts. Driven to further connect and build strong relationships as well as influence partners and stakeholders at multiple levels.
o Experienced with the CFA Institute and local societies preferred. Ability to collaborate inside and outside organization to develop consensus and create strong relationships at all levels of the organization.
• Leadership experience: An innovative thought-leader with the ability to achieve the Society 2.0 strategic goals. Demonstrated ability to lead, influence and coordinate teams in complex matrixed environments. Capable of providing leadership to instill a team-oriented, results-driven operation. Ability to formulate flexible strategies and action plans to achieve results. Able to provide member value through various activities to further strengthen our position in Switzerland and expand our reach.
• Management skill: Ability to manage diverse and remote teams. Mature business skills with timely, structured and disciplined management approach.
• Interpersonal skills: highly collaborative management style with the commitment to establish rapport, develop consensus and build strong teams with the board, staff volunteers, and other stakeholders. Able to build strong relationships and influence partners and stakeholders at multiple levels.
• High level of integrity: promote the highest level of integrity, ethical and professional standards. Act to protect the CFA reputation, culture and brand.
• Strong project management skills: High level of organizational and time management skills; flexibility in competently juggling competing priorities.
Key Personality Characteristics
• Strategic: Connects ideas, resources and processes, with an outside-in perspective, to define winning solutions; employs a broad, global perspective and digital mindset to disrupt and transform
• Courageous: Actively listens, asks questions, develops an independent conclusion and is willing to challenge the popular view for the betterment of the organization
• Authentic: Reflects one’s true self in all situations; clearly says what they mean and does what they say they will do
• Talent magnet: Understands a candidate/employee’s capabilities and matches those to the appropriate role/assignment; seeks out diversity of thought and experience; invests in development; mentors and coaches for success; builds and rewards high functioning teams
• Growth mindset: Learns and grows through experimentation and failure; embraces challenges with persistence and resilience; demonstrates a willingness to risk failure and sees it as a key learning opportunity
• Accountable: Understands role and takes full ownership of their own, their team’s, and the organization’s success or failure; achieves efficient, timely, quality results through the effective leadership of others
• Agile: Navigates complexity, challenges and ambiguity with confidence; creates an environment of learning to drive optimal outcomes; employs a continuous improvement mindset; encourages rapid, flexible response to change.
This job description is a summary of the role including candidate requirements and duties and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all areas of responsibility.